Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Fluffy Pumpkin Pancakes and Home made Syrup!

Russia Fact #1: There are no pancake mixes or cake mixes
Russia Fact #2: Real Maple Syrup is now available here for $16 for a small bottle

Because of facts #1 & #2 I get to make a lot of things from scratch now! Which I don't mind. Most things taste better from scratch. However, I had yet to find a pancake recipe that I liked better than the box mix...until now! 

With all my running and marathon training I discovered a beautiful thing...I got to eat all the carbs I wanted! And my favorite thing after my long distance runs, were pancakes with peanut butter (great for protein right after a run!) and real maple syrup (great for the taste buds). Leave it to me to fall in love with two of the most expensive things here, peanut butter ($18 for a large jar) and real maple syrup ( not the pretend Aunt Jemima stuff but the real stuff!). So I was able to sneak 2 large jars of Jif Peanut Butter into my suitcases. :)

Okay so enough chatter...

Back to the fluffy pancakes.

I googled "fluffy pancakes" and went with the second recipe that popped up. (Where would we be without google?!) And they were so fluffy! (insert the voice from the little girl on Despicable Me as she grabs her fluffy pony.) 

Okay here's what I discovered... If you swap out the milk for flavored creamer you get even fluffier pancakes. So what ever flavor you like- vanilla, pumpkin, caramel macchiato. The choices are endless!! Now here's a disclaimer, I've only used regular creamer and the pumpkin, so experiment at your own risk! There's no flavored creamer here so I just used regular milk. The butter here is soooo rich and flavorful- so that makes up for it!

* I tripled the batch of dry ingredients and put it in a container with the recipe on it. So now I have my own pancake mix all ready for next time! Then just scoop out 1 1/2 C of dry mix and add wet ingredients.*

Fluffiest Pancakes Ever:

Ingredients:

1 1/2 C of flour
1 TBSP Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt
1 TBSP Sugar
(If you don't have flavored creamer Add 2 tsp of Pumpkin spice and 1 tsp of cinnamon).
*A dash of cinnamon if you like!

Mix dry ingredients. Then add wet ingredients. 
Turn on Griddle or Frying Pan to let warm up.

1 1/2 C Milk (or  Pumpkin flavored Creamer)
1 Egg
3 TBSP of melted butter
A splash of Vanilla for added flavor :)

Mix the batter but leave little lumps. Let sit for 5 minutes. Meanwhile start syrup.
 **Batch makes 6 medium size pancakes- perfect for two adults and one super cute baby.**

Home made Pancake Mix! I mixed 3 batches of the dry ingredients.
Measure out 1 1/2 C of dry mix and add wet ingredients. 


Mmmmm don't those look fluffy?!

Maple Extract I sent my friend here in Russia
 from Amish Country! 
The syrup is awesome! 


Today's batch! 

Good thing I brought two of these Jif jars with me! 
A happy home starts with fluffy pancakes!
This plate is the batch doubled. 

3 comments:

  1. Yep, pancakes and syrup are one of the very first things I learned to make. Looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have any Виктория stores there? Because they have pancake mixes! (At least the ones here in Moscow do). And they are super cheap too. (like 44 rubles) The only brand I have seen is Gold Morning/Золотое утро. I'd post a picture of my box if I could... =( Anyways, not that you need it now that you have a recipe but if the box is nice for when you are in a hurry!

    ReplyDelete